August 5, 1963 – The Great Train Robbery

On this day in 1914 the American Traffic Signal Co installed the first electric traffic light system at East 105th Street and Euclid Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. The device utilized red and green lights with a buzzer that warned when the color was going to change. Police and fire stations could control the signals during emergency situations. The system was designed by James Hoge, and patented in 1918.
Pictured is an early traffic signal.