February 13, 1953 – Mack Truck founder dies

The Mack Brothers Company was established in 1900 when John M., Augustus F. and William C. Mack deliver their first successful vehicle, a 4 cylinder, 24 horsepower, 13 passenger bus dubbed “Manhattan.” The bus would take sightseers around Brooklyn, New York’s Prospect Park for eight years and rack up more than 1,000,000 miles before being retired. The success of the bus established the company as a reputable source for heavy duty trucks and busses. In 1922 the name was officially changed to Mack Trucks., Inc. and the bulldog was approved as the company logo. William C. Mack, one of the original three brothers to start the company, passed away on this day in 1953 after watching the family business participate in some of America’s toughest jobs, including surveying for and building highways, the construction of the Hoover Dam and participating in the WWII war effort. A Mack Truck at Naval Station Key West on June 18, 19171920 Mack Model AB 2½ Ton Gas Tanker 1 by Jack Snell CC2.0 https://flic.kr/p/dzYxnZThe Bulldog that adorns Mack Trucks by John Lloyd CC2.0 https://flic.kr/p/6MYSQH

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email