When department store founder Joseph L. Hudson was approached by eight men requesting an investment for a new automobile company he chose to provided the necessary capital to get the operation up and running. For his contribution the eight Detroit businessmen requested to use his name for their new auto, and so on this day in 1909 Hudson Motor Car Company was born. The company made its first home in the old Aerocar factory on the intersection of Mack Avenue and Beaufait Street in Detroit, Michigan and quickly went to work. The first car rolled off the production line on July 3, 1909. In 1910 there were 4,508 Hudson Twenty automobiles produced, a record for the best first full year of production of any automaker at the time. The success of the Hudson resulted in the company moving to a new 223,500 square foot facility in October 1910. The larger space led them to increase production to 6,486 for 1911. Hudson would go on to merge with Nash-Kelvinator in 1954, leading to the phase out of the Hudson name in 1957.
1909 Hudson Model 20 at Hostetler’s Hudson by Joe Ross CC2.0 https://flic.kr/p/bykPBF