February 6, 1954 – Mercedes introduces the 300 SL

Mercedes-Benz built a brand new car for the 1952 Sportscar racing season, dubbed the W194, also known as the 300 SL. The 3 litre straight-6 was vicious on the track, taking home the gold at 24 Hours of Le Mans, Bern-Bremgarten, Carrera Panamericana and others. Only 10 of the cars were built for racing but at the suggestion of Daimler-Benz’ official US importer Max Hoffman, Mercedes introduced a production version of the car which were first sold on this day in 1954. The 300 SL borrowed the same engine as its racing predecessor but was introduced with direct fuel injection, opposed to the triple two-barrel Solex carburetors of the racer. The 300 SL was available as a Gullwing coupe or a roadster, of which 1400 and 1858 were built, respectively, between 1954 and 1963. Schloss Dyck Classic Days 2013 – Mercedes Flügeltürer (“Wingdoors”) by Jorbasa Fotografie CC 2.0 https://flic.kr/p/foYhRT.The steering wheel tilted for easier driver access. “Mercedes Benz 300SL Gullwing(1955)” by 孝杰 林. CC 2.0 https://flic.kr/p/hVGLkn

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email