July 22, 1908 – Fisher Body is formed

Automobile coachbuilder Fisher Body is founded on this day in 1908 in Detroit, Michigan by brothers Fred and Charles Fisher. After launching the company they would eventually bring on their five younger brothers as well. Prior to forming the company the two eldest Fisher brothers built horse-drawn carriages for C. R. Wilson Company. During his time there Fred participated in the building of the Cadillac Osceola, the first fully enclosed automobile.  Starting in 1910 Fisher Body was the sole supplier of all closed bodies for Cadillac. During this time they also produced various bodies for Buick. By 1913 the brothers were able to produce 100,000 cars per year and had clients including Ford, Krit, Chalmers and Studebaker, aside from Cadillac and Buick. By 1914 they were the largest automobile body manufacturer. In 1916, with a capacity to build 370,000 bodies per year, the company became Fisher Body Corporation. In 1919 the brothers were presented with a deal direct from General Motors president William C. Durant, which would allow GM to acquire 60 percent of the company. The offer was accepted and in 1926 Fisher Body became an in-house division for General Motors. Fisher Body dissolved in 1984 with factories being absorbed by GM. The company name lives on through other family founded companies, including Fisher & Company and Fisher Dynamics, which produces seating mechanisms and design for numerous purposes. At the height of operation Fisher Body owned more than 160,000 acres of timberland and employed more than 100,000 people.  PhotoEarly body assembly line, courtesy GM Heritage CenterFisher in the 1950sBody by Fisher emblem

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email