March 3, 2009 – The Maybach Zeppelin is reintroduced

Wilhelm Maybach founded Luftfahrzeug-Motorenbau GmbH in Germany in 1909. The literal translation of the name being Aircraft Engine Building Company. The business was originally aimed at producing engines for Zeppelins and aircraft in WW1. Following the war, after the name was changed to Maybach-Motorenbau, the company built its first experimental car, the W1, which it introduced in 1919. Its first production model, the W3, would roll out of factories two years later. In 1930 Maybach introduced in the DS7 Zeppelin, the name paying homage to company history. Following WWII the company failed to restart vehicle production and it was bought by Daimler-Benz in 1960 to produce special edition Mercedes. A car with a Maybach badge would be reintroduced by Daimler-Chrysler in 2002 and on this day in 2009 the Maybach Zeppelin went on sale, again using the name to pay tribute to the company’s beginnings. Maybach 57 Zeppelin front quarter by Ben. CC2.0 https://flic.kr/p/aBeZNgMaybach 57 Zeppelin rear quarter by Ben. CC2.0 https://flic.kr/p/aBf1dnMaybach Zeppelin interior by Jay Clark CC2.0 https://flic.kr/p/7vPF17

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email