October 13, 1916 – GM forms a corporation

On this day in 1916 General Motors Company officially changed its name to General Motors Corporation when it incorporated under Delaware law and acquired all stock of the former General Motors Company. Consequently, the General Motors Company stock was retired. Today it is legally named General Motors Company LLC but is simply known as General Motors and commonly referred to as GM. The current company was formed in 2009 after filing for bankruptcy. It purchased the majority of assets of “old GM,” including the name. William C. Durant started General Motors on September 16, 1908 as a holding company. The next day he purchased Buick Motor Company and then began to rapidly purchase other brands, including Oldsmobile later in 1908, and in 1909 he acquired Cadillac, Cartercar, Elmore, Ewing, and Oakland. Today General Motors produces vehicles in 37 countries under twelve brands: Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Holden, HSV, Opel, Vauxhall, Wuling, Baojun, Jie Fang, and Ravon. GM’s world headquarters are still located in Detroit, Michigan. PicsGM’s headquarters from 1923 to 1996 in Detroit. – Public domainRenaissance Center, GM World Headquarters, Detroit, Michigan. – Public domain

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email