October 29, 1954 – The last true Hudson

The last true Hudson left the assembly line on this day in 1954 following the May 1, 1954 merger with Nash to form American Motors. The name Hudson would live on for three more production years as rebadged Nashes, the last one leaving the factory on June 25, 1957. Hudson was formed on February 20, 1909 by eight Detroit businessmen who received financing from Joseph L. Hudson, a department store entrepreneur. Hudson set a record for most cars sold in an automaker’s first full year at 4,508, putting it in 17th place in the industry for sales. The rapid sales led to great growth and a new, huge factory opened on this same date, October 29, in 1910. Up until the production of the 1948 Hudson automobiles had all been built pretty much the same way, placing a body on a frame. When Hudson introduced their “step-down” body the world was introduced to a car that offered better, safety, better comfort and better control. The vehicle’s floor was surrounded by the vehicle frame, instead of resting on top of it, the precursor to today’s unibody vehicles. Essentially the passenger compartment rested within the frame. Pics1910 Hudson Model 20 – By CZmarlin — Christopher Ziemnowicz, Own work, Public Domain.1938 Hudson 112 Coupe – By Lars-Göran Lindgren Sweden – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.01949 Hudson Commodore featuring “Step-down” body- By Lglswe – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email