September 27, 1925 – Building Nurburgring

On this day in 1925 construction on the Nurburgring racing circuit in Nürburg, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany begins. The first races would take place on June 18, 1927 for motorcycles with sidecars, which was won by Toni Ulmen on an English 350 cc Velocette. Rudolf Caracciola took the checkers at the first automobile race, which was for the 5000 cc class the following day. He drove a Mercedes Compressor to victory.

Rudolf Caracciola drives a Mercedes-Benz SSKL Rennsportwagen to victory at the German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring, July 19, 1931 with his co-driver Wilhelm Sebastian.

The motorsports complex now features a Grand Prix track that was built in 1984 and has a crowd capacity of more than 150,000 people. The track’s biggest weekend of the year is the 24 Hours Nurburgring, which is generally held in mid-May. The event features upwards of 220 cars, ranging from 100 hp to more than 700 hp factory race cars built by BMW, Opel, Audi, Mercedes-Benz and many other competitors from around the globe. There is often more than 700 drivers in total, both amateurs and professionals, with around 290,000 spectators cheering them on over the course of the weekend-long race.


Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email
Close Menu