September 27, 1925 – Construction on Nurburgring racing circuit begins

On this day in 1925 construction on the Nurburgring racing circuit in Nürburg, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany begins. Today the motorsports complex features a Grand Prix track built in 1984 and has a crowd capacity of more than 150,000 people. When completed in 1927 the track featured four configurations: the 28.265 km (17.563 mi)-long Gesamtstrecke (“Whole Course”), which in turn consisted of the 22.810 km (14.173 mi) Nordschleife (“North Loop”), and the 7.747 km (4.814 mi) Südschleife (“South Loop”). There also was a 2.281 km (1.417 mi) warm-up loop called Zielschleife (“Finish Loop”) or Betonschleife (“Concrete Loop”), around the pit area. The first races took place on June 18, 1927 for motorcycles with sidecars and the race was won by Toni Ulmen on an English 350 cc Velocette. Rudolf Caracciola won the first car race in the 5000 cc class in a Mercedes Compressor the next day. Today the track’s big weekend is the 24 Hours Nurburgring, which is generally held in mid-May.The weekend features featuring 220 cars, ranging from 100 hp cars to 700 hp factory race cars built by BMW, Opel, Audi, Mercedes-Benz There is often more than 700 drivers, both amateurs and professionals and up to 290,000 spectators. PicsOriginal track layout by Pitlane02 – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0,2011 German Grand Prix by VnGrijl

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email