Wilhelm Maybach founded Luftfahrzeug-Motorenbau GmbH, which translates to Aircraft Engine Building Company, in Germany in 1909, to produce engines for Zeppelins and aircraft in WWI. Following the war, after the name was changed to Maybach-Motorenbau, the company built its first experimental car, the W1, which was introduced in 1919. Its first production model, the W3, would roll out of factories two years later. In 1929 Maybach introduced the DS7 Zeppelin, the name paying homage to company history.
Following WWII Maybach failed to restart vehicle production. In 1960 Daimler-Benz purchased the company, planning manufacture produce special edition Mercedes. A car with a Maybach badge would be reintroduced by Daimler-Chrysler in 2002 and on this day in 2009 the new Maybach Zeppelin went on sale, again using the name to pay tribute to the company’s beginnings.