International Harvester Company was founded during the merger of McCormick Harvesting Machine Company, Deering Harvester Company, Milwaukee Harvesting Machine Co., Plano Manufacturing Co. and Warder, Bushnell, and Glessner in 1902. While the company initially focused on agricultural machinery, such as large tractors, the business began truck production in 1907 at the company’s McCormick Works factory in Chicago. White International Harvester was commercially successful building and selling large trucks and farm equipment, the launch of their Jeep competitor, the Scout, which first rolled off the assembly line on this day in 1960, would become the company’s most successful consumer vehicle to date.
The Scout was manufactured in Fort Wayne, Indiana and featured a variety of two door body styles, including a full length roof, half cab pickup or a soft top and was available with a 4×4 drivetrain. The first Scout, the Scout 80, was replaced by the 800 in 1966, followed by the 810 in 1971. The Scout II was also introduced in 1971 and would remain in production through 1980, when Scout production came to an end.
The International Harvester marque and tractor business was sold off in 1985, and the company changed its name to Navistar. It exists today manufacturing large trucks, buses and defense vehicles. Cover photo: An early 4×4 Scout 80 featuring a removable hardtop that has seen better days. – By Ericthered43 at en.wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0