Kaiser-Frazer Corporation began production of Frazer automobiles on this day in 1946 at the Willows Run plant in Michigan. The Frazer was among the first cars to feature brand new post war styling, and it even won the Fashion Academy of New York Gold Medal for design achievement. The company achieved minor success in its early years of competing with established luxury brands like Lincoln and Cadillac. It snagged 1.5 percent of the US automobile market in 1948.
Although consumeres placed more than 50,000 orders for 1951 Frazers following a dramatic restyle, Kaiser-Frazer abruptly decided to focus on the less expensive Kaiser brand. A hair over 10,000 1951 Frazers, which included a handful of four-door convertibles, came off the assembly line. That would be end of Frazer. Company executives Henry Kaiser and Joseph Frazer believed the Big Three worked together to shut off supplies to hinder production of the young automaker. Kaiser shut its doors just two years later in 1953.